Tuesday 8 January 2013

What to do with mangoes? Pt. 1

Strolling back home to our house this Sunday afternoon following a magnificently huge roast at The Water Poet (which I will review here shortly!), my boyfriend and I went to pick up some fruit from the market just outside Shoreditch High Street station.

Having just eaten about my weight in meat, we both vowed to eat a bit more healthily in the following days. And while we often manage to eat healthy things, we usually end up indulging in something chocolatey afterwards, because the healthy option just wasn't enough. Ah well.

Today, however, we successfully avoided anything chocolatey and still had a form of 'dessert'. As I'd spotted some deliciously ripe mangoes at only £1.99 per box, I decided to make a nice and refreshing mango and lime lassi.
And what shall I say - it was delicious! I originally included cardamom and infused the milk I added to the lassi with seeds from 6 cardamom pods, however this subtle taste could hardly be detected in the final product....this was due to my spontaneous addition of lime and I think with a few more seeds the cardamom would be beautiful with the mango, but only without the lime.


The lime and mango has got to be a winning combination though - the lime cuts through the sweetness of the mango beautifully and gives this lassi a refreshing 'zing'. I know it's not summer yet, but I imagine this to be an absolute winner when drunk nice and cold on a warm day.

For the moment, turn up your heater, stick the lassi in the fridge, then sit back and forget its winter as you enjoy it. Oh, and preferably eat something spicy with it and it will do wonders!

Mango and Lime Lassi

Recipe by Athene Knufer

Yield: ca. 1 Litre

Ingredients

  • 2 large, ripe mangoes
  • 300ml milk
  • 300ml low-fat greek yoghurt
  • zest and juice of one large lime

Cooking Directions

  1. Cut open the mangoes and scoop out all the flesh into a bowl.
  2. Add the flesh to a blender/food processor with the milk and yoghurt and blend till smooth.
  3. Add the lime juice at the end and give it another quick blend.
  4. Chill in the fridge for 20-30 mins for the perfect cool temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment